Monday, February 20, 2012

When it rains it pours until flashfloods sweep away your sanity

This week was a bit of a train wreck. No, maybe not so quick as a train wreck, more like a termite infestation. Slowly my sanity was eaten away by "life" issues until the beams of my emotional stability were little more than toothpicks. It started with a car accident. I had ventured outside of my zip code to attend a sporting event. Nothing makes one feel like an old curmudgeon more than traversing a college campus. When did I become so old? And when did 18-22 year-olds become so annoying? But that is neither here nor there (its hard for aged people like myself to stay on track ;) The car accident. I was driving through a residential area when someone thought that it would be a good idea to make a left hand turn directly in front of me. Now I can appreciate being in a hurry, I'm late for a lot of things, but if you're going to rush you should do it effectively. This incident only slowed us all down. My first thought was that it was some stupid co-ed who had been texting her bff. To my surprise a very apologetic middle-aged man stepped out of the battered sedan. We exchanged information and both cars were well enough to drive away. And thus my week started. Valentine's Day rolled round and I had my traditional Valentine's date planned with my two favorite guys: Ben & Jerry. But before I settled in for the night with my creamy lovers I went to get a hair cut and pick up a few things at the grocery store. On my way out of the store I ran into a guy whom I have a bit of a history with (I won't go into all the awkward details). Not wanting to be a jerk I said hey, and we chatted about nothing for what seemed like an eternity. I finally excused myself when my face had become so hot and flushed that I thought my bangs were going to catch on fire. As I turned to leave he wished me a happy Valentine's. At that moment I wanted nothing more than to steal one of Cupid's arrows and drive it through his stupid little head! Copious amounts of chocolate were eaten that night. The next day, nursing a candy hangover, I found out that an elderly friend of mine had passed away in the night. He was a wonderful man who touched a lot of lives and will be deeply missed. I breathed a sigh of relief when the weekend came and I could stay in my pj's, sit on the couch, and just stare at the wall. If only. While cleaning I found a silent creeper in my storage unit: black mold! I could practically hear the hateful little spores laughing at me as I threw away my damaged property. But I had the last laugh as I doused the Stachybotrys bastards with bleach. Booyah!!! After conquering the Fungi Kingdom I began preparations for another battle. This battle was with Big Brother a.k.a. Taxes. Due to my bureaucratic nature I actually don't hate doing my taxes, and yes I do know that I'm a freak. That being said I am always angry at how much of my income goes to the government (Ron Paul 2012). However the government does not care about my opinion so it has to be done. This year my friends and I decided to all get together and do them at the same time. It was a late night with a lot of number crunching, popcorn eating, random groans, and a lot of exclamations like "what the what!?" and "are you kidding me!?" But in the end we muddled through. Around 12:30 a.m. I dragged myself out to the car only to find that one of my tires was completely and utterly flat. Sure, why not? I was too tired to even get angry, I just stood in the cold and whimpered. The worst part was that this wasn't even my car. If you will recall I was in an accident at the beginning of the week and the car I had driven that night was a friend's. Not about to deal with the flat right then and there I bummed another friend's car for the night and called AAA the next morning. Today I decided to stay in doors. In fact after I finish this post I think I'm going to go do some wall staring. Hmm......nothingness sounds nice.

2 comments:

  1. awesome... bummer week but hilarious post... and don't act like you were alone on v-day ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't give every detail, nor do my readers want them :D

    ReplyDelete