Tuesday, January 31, 2012

"All Things Bright and Beautiful"

About once a month I sing with the worship team at my church. This is both exciting and nerve racking for me. I always try to look my best, as I will be standing in from of the congregation. One particular morning I wore an adorable polka-dot pencil skirt (guys that basically means it was straight and to the knees). As usual I was running just a bit late. In my haste I over stepped getting out of the car and hear a gut-wrenching rip. I froze, my heart palpitated, and then my fingers gingerly crept to the back of my skirt to feel the damage. No, oh no! Really?! Yep. The slit in my skirt had ripped all the way up to…..ahem…..an essential area. I couldn’t have the whole church seeing “All That I Am”. So I did what any rational adult would do, ran to the bathroom and panicked. Standing in front of the mirror I survey the devastation; hopped up and down flapping my hands as if I were about to take off. All the while muttering pathetically, “no, no, no, no, no…..” and praying that God would perform a miracle. I understand that “He Hidith My Soul” but right then I needed Him to hidith a few other things too. My friend walked in, and I spewed out my sad tale and asked her for a safety pin. She told me that had she not lost her keys to her office then she would have had access to all kinds fastening devices. Alas, this was not a good day for either of us. As we were talking she accidentally bumped her hand spilling her coffee all over her white blouse. Fail. Now there were two adult women panicking in the bathroom. After a good twenty-minute-freak-out session I finally procured a safety pin. The largest safety pin I had ever seen in my life! My eyes filled with tears of joy. Then I suddenly realized what time it was. What the what!!! I should have been on stage 10 minutes ago. Running up the stairs, careful to not loose my pin, I burst into the sanctuary just in time to grab my mic and start the first song. Which sounded not so good since I had missed the sound check completely and was out of breath. But I guess people will have learned to take me “Just As I Am”.

No comments:

Post a Comment